June 8, 2012

Things To Do In Charlottesville: Summer Edition


Although I've only been living in my new apartment for a week in a half, it weirdly seems like forever. I keep forgetting that my actual summer hasn't even started yet -- and I think it's because we've been have a fun ol' Cville summer kind of time. So, if you're in the Ville and looking for things to do, here are some tried-and-true suggestions:

1. Strawberry picking at Chiles Orchard!



Works especially well as a birthday surprise (happy 22nd to Margaret!). And pairs very well with a stop at King Family Vineyards afterwards, to picnic with your freshly-picked strawberries and a bottle of wine.

2. Blue Hole



Such a classic. Although be warned: the rope swing is no longer there.... (No worries, if you bring a picnic it's still worth the mile-ish hike and freeeeezing water to jump in a swim around some!)

3. A Sunrise Hike at Humpback Rocks




I've been to Humpback several times before, but never for sunrise. It's early, and it's a drive, and a hike, but it was worth it to see the Shenandoah Valley all laid out in the haze of pre-dawn -- and then that moment when the sun finally breaks over the mountains through the clouds! Stunning.


4. Wine-Tasting




Possibly one of my favorite things to do in Charlottesville (which could explain why I've been essentially every other week this semester). In the past week we went to Jefferson Vineyards, where my friend works (free tasting with a UVA alumni card), and to Barboursville, where they give you approximately 75803934289 wines to taste (By which I mean 18. But still.) and there are "ruins" to traipse around...

5. Blue Mountain Brewery



Especially on the first Thursday of the month, for 'steal the glass' (you get to keep the glass your beer comes in!).

Of course, there are a million other things like the Farmer's Market and Chris Greene Lake and a ton of local restaurants, but, hey, I only had a week! And now I'm off to see the Avengers at a drive-in movie theater... :]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...